Check this page for updates on how COVID-19 impacts weightlifting in Victoria.
Updated on Monday 23 March 2020.
The federal government advised on Sunday 22 March that gyms and indoor sporting venues will be restricted from opening from midday 23 March 2020.
These restrictions apply to all VWA affiliate club venues and gyms associated with the VWA and our sport's activities.
In short, the VWA advises you must close your facility for training and other activities from midday today until further notice.
The Victorian Weightlifting Stadium will be closed from midday today until further notice.
The VWA board has resolved to indefinitely postpone all sanctioned competitions on the VWA events calendar from 23 March 2020 up to 30 June 2020.
This includes the 2020 Victorian Masters Championships on Saturday 4 April.
We will review and assess this situation on an ongoing basis and determine ahead of the 30 June deadline whether to extend this further to competitions beyond 30 June or recommence as planned from 1 July, including potential dates for rescheduling postponed events.
Please be advised that the VWA reserves the right to cancel sanctioned competitions that have been postponed.
The following VWA sanctioned events have been postponed to date:
- VWA School League Round 1; Friday 20 March
- Controlled Chaos Classic; Saturday 21 March
- Geelong School League 1; Friday 27 March
- Victorian Masters Championships; Saturday 4 April
- Geelong Open League 2; Saturday 30 May
- Sport & Recreation Victoria Cup + School League Round 2; Friday 19 June
- Alby Dutton & Bill Keir Memorial; Saturday 20 June
- Geelong School League 2; Friday 26 June
We are awaiting advice from the AWF as to how these restrictions, including state border controls, will impact the scheduling of national championship events for the remainder of 2020. As of today the following AWF events have been postponed indefintely:
- Oceania & Commonwealth Championships, Nauru; 20-26 April
- Australian U23 & Junior Championships, WA; 15-17 May
- Australian Masters Championships & Oceania Masters Open, QLD; 5-7 June
Please send all communication to the VWA via the office email address, firstname.lastname@example.org. Regular office hours will be maintained remotely during this period so it is advised not to telephone the office. Our social media channels are also available however the office emails will continue to be monitored and responded to as normal.
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact our Operations Manager, Ryan Mitchell via email email@example.com.
Stay safe and best wishes to you and your families.